How To Be More Sustainable
In honor of this year being Earth Day's 50th Anniversary, we have compiled a list of 10 things you can do to be more sustainable. Always remember: even the smallest change can make the biggest difference!
1. Eliminate Plastics
- Switch to metal or bamboo straws.
- Bring a reusable mug/cup when ordering coffee.
- Instead of disposable sandwich bags, switch to reusable silicone sandwich bags.
2. Ditch Fast Fashion
- Purchase clothing with a longer lifespan rather than trendy, disposable fashion.
- Shop secondhand when you can!
- If you're only going to wear it once, borrow or rent it.
3. Eat More Plants
- It takes the equivalent of 50 bathtubs of water to produce one steak.
- Try switching to a more plant-based diet, even if it's only for a certain amount of days each week.
4. Grow Your Own
- If you have the space for it, try growing your own fruits, veggies, and herbs!
- Herbs can be kept indoors in pots and place them in a spot with a lot of sunlight.
5. Support Local
- Support local and small businesses!
6. Travel Slow
- If it's close enough, walk or take your bike!
- Try public transporation.
7. Shorter Showers
- Take shorter showers and less baths.
- Try timing your showers or even investing in a shower timer.
8. Save Paper
- Limit your use of toilet paper.
- Instead of paper towels and napkins, use reusable, washable towels. These can be purchased or you can cut your own from fabric.
9. BYOB - Bring Your Own Bags
- Bring your own reusable bags or totes when shopping.
10. Reusable Products
- Less usage of disposable products means less waste crowding our landfills!